"The world is not a rectilinear world, it is a curvilinear world. The heavenly bodies go in a curve because that is the
natural way..."

-- George Bernard Shaw

"I am not attracted to straight angles or to the straight line, hard and inflexible, created by man. I am attracted to free-flowing, sensual curves. The curves that I find in the mountains of my country, in the sinuousness of its rivers, in the waves of the ocean, and on the body of the beloved woman. Curves make up the entire Universe, the curved Universe of Einstein."

-- Oscar Niemeyer

Thursday 6 March 2014

10. Sculptures that Look Like Aliens

It's been quite a week here at WOWchitecture. My blog just celebrated its two-month anniversary and blew past its 2,000th page view. I now have readers in 71 countries and every continent except Antarctica!!!

That may not put me up there with Katy Perry and her 50-million Twitter followers, but it's far more than I ever expected. Thank you all. Especially those who come back week-after-week to spend a little time here.

Today, I'm going to do something a little different. In my very first post, I promised that WOWchitecture would not only showcase "architecture with attitude" but also many other decorative arts. Today, the spotlight will shine on digital surrealism. Specifically, MY digital surrealism. Here are a few highlights from my new photo series: Sculptures that Look Like Aliens.

The first one is my partner Heather's favourite, an extra-terrestrial we discovered while holidaying in Guadalajara, Mexico:



The "alien" is actually the top half of a bronze chair created by sensational surrealist sculptor - and Guadalajara native son - Alejandro Colunga. Like better-known countryman Guillermo del Toro, Colunga's work draws on childhood memories of myths, fables and strange creatures. The metalwork is his. But the photo and colourful interpretation are mine. Here's another one inspired by Colunga's work:



In a similar vein, my favourite aliens can be found on the roof-top of Barcelona's renowned Casa Mila (better known as La Pedrera - The Rock Quarry) created by the incomparable Catalan architect, Antoni Gaudi. The "aliens" were actually greyish-white before I decided to add a little life to them:



Gaudi wasn't the only Catalan with visions of aliens dancing in his head. Jean Miro took a more whimsical approach, as illustrated by this cute little guy at the Miro museum, also in Barcelona:



And this guy, at the same museum:




But you probably wouldn't want to run into Italian Mimo Paledino's spaceman at the Peggy Guggenheim Museum in Venice. I think he may be part mummy.



Well, that's it for my chosen art form - digital surrealism. You've probably already seen some of my work at the very beginning of this blog, and scattered in among my posts. If you'd like to see even better digital surrealism, sign up for Google+ (if you haven't already) and join the Surrealism or Digital Art communities.You'll see some fantastic work, "meet" friendly (and, occasionally, surreal) people and have hours of fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment